APR 1950 NOV 1950

CAVALIER arrived at Yokosuka, Japan on 19 April 1950 and remained for  local  operations. On 28 June, the  North  Korean  Communist Forces  invaded the Republic of South Korea.  Departing  Yokosuka Son  15  July,  CAVALIER with other units  of  Transport  Division TWELVE,  took  part  in the first amphibious  operations  of  the Korean  War,  landing troops of the lst Cavalry  Division  in  an assault  landing  at Po Hang Dong, Korea on 18  July  1950.   She returned  to Yokosuka on 23 July and the next day Captain  D.  J. Sweeney,  USN, relieved Captain S.  S. Bowling,  USN.   Departing
Yokosuka  on 3 September, CAVALIER made a brief visit  to  Pusan, Korea (5-12 September).  She arrived at Inchon on 15 September to take part in the landings and after embarking patients for return to  Japan,  sailed  on 20 September  for  Yokosuka,  arriving  22 September  1950.  She returned to Inchon on 8 October  and  after transport  of  troops  and  ammunition  to  Wonsan,  returned  to Yokosuka on 29 October 1950.  She sailed for the United States on
1 November and arrived at San Diego on 24 November 1950.

FEB 1950 AUG 1951

From  December  1950  to 8 February  1951,  CAVALIER  under  went overhaul in the Mare Island Naval Shipyard.  She then conducted a schedule of local amphibious operations while based at San Diego, California.   On  9  June,  she  became  flagship  of   Commander Transport  Division 11 and on 14 July departed San Diego with  19 officers  and  714 men of the Marine Corps, enroute  to  the  Far East.  She sailed direct to Kobe, Japan and upon arrival, 29 July
1951,  took  replenishment and loaded additional cargo  of  small arms  ammunition and provisions for troops.  Departing  3  August 1951, she unloaded troops and cargo at Pusan, Korea, on 5 August, then steamed for Yokosuka, Japan arriving 7 August 1951.  Captain Daniel  J.  Sweeney,  USN,  was relieved  by  Captain  Gordon  A. Uehling, USN, on 17 August 1951.


In  August 1951, CAVALIER arrived at Sasebo and after  operations at  Otaru,  arrived  at Murokan, Hokkaido,  Japan,  where  on  20 November  1951, Commander Transport Division 11 shifted his  flag to  GEORGE  CLYMER  (APA-27).   This  same  day  CAVALIER  became flagship of Commander Transport Division 15, who shifted his flag from  the  GEORGE CLYMER.  On 27 November 1951, men of  the  45th Infantry  Division were loaded with their equipment and  vehicles and that afternoon CAVALIER steamed for Inchon, Korea, arriving 1 December  to  debark  her  troops  and  cargo.   Departing  on  7 December,  she  returned for operations at Sasebo  and  Yokosuka.  She visited Hong Kong from 3 to 18 January 1952, then returned to Yokosuka  where  she  loaded 27 officers  and  1164  troops  with vehicles  and equipment of the 40th Infantry Division; which  she debarked at Inchon, Korea on 3 February 1952.


At Inchon, CAVALIER embarked 56 officers and 1678 enlisted troops of  the  21st and 24th Infantry Divisions for  transportation  to Yokohoma, arriving 7 February 1952.  She then steamed to Yokosuka on 11 February and remained for dry-dock and repairs until 5 April 1952 when she departed for the United States.  Steaming via Pearl Harbor  (14-16 April) she arrived at San Diego on 23 April  1952.  She  conducted training exercises in the San Diego area  until  6 August, followed by overhaul in the Mare Island Naval Shipyard (6 August  to  10 October 1952).  While in overhaul  status,  on  17
August  1952,  Captain D. T. Eller, USN, relieved Captain  G.  A. Suehling,  USN.   After  refresher training while  based  at  Long Beach, she returned for operations at San Diego until 25  January 1953, then sailed to conduct fleet amphibious training  exercises while based at Pearl Harbor (31 January - 16 February 1953).


CAVALIER returned to San Diego on 23 February 1953 for operations at that port and Long Beach which included participation in amphibious  exercises at Aliso Canyon from 1 to 5 May 1953.   She underwent overhaul in the Bethlehem Steel Corporation Yard at San Pedro  from 29 May to 15 June 1953.  After refresher training  at
San  Diego,  she departed on 3 July for another tour of  the  Far East  as  flagship  of Commander  Transport  Division  15.   Upon arrival  at  Yokosuka on 24 July 1953, Captain W. S.  Post,  USN, relieved  Captain D. T. Eller, USN.  On 29 July, CAVALIER  sailed for  Inchon,  Korea  where she had duty in  connection  with  the transfer of prisoners of war under terms of the Korean  Armistice Agreement, from 1 to 27 August 1953.